Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How to get rid of stinks from the fridge...and the alcohol scare.

Starting the new year with throwing out foods and vitamins from the fridge. Good start, not that I intentionally do with such a positive motivation.

Come home from Bali to find stinks from my fridges.
My mom decided to turn off the electricity from the house while we were away. Maybe forgetting that we have foods in the fridges.

How to get rid of them?
I also don't know...
Stay tuned to find out how I finally get rid of it...

Update:
I decided to throw everything away and wash the fridge racks.

I started wiping the fridge wall and everything with cottons dampened with 70% isoprophyl alcohol solution, which you can find in many drugstores.  It reminded me of how we cleaned the apothecary's mortar and pestle after grinding prescription drugs from a doctor's recipe in the old days.

As i was wiping, suddenly I heard Number Two screamed in pain, rubbing her lips and tongue. To my scare I saw the bottle containing alcohol already empty,  and she was holding it in the other hand. She screamed, "HOOOOOTTTT...." and wailing like a banshe.
I wailed too! "BABY!!!!! WHAT DID YOU DRINK!!!!"
Maid said, "Madam, what is it in that bottle.."
"AAAAAAARGH," I was screaming as I fled the stairs to grab my bag, scooped her, and drove like crazy to the hospital.
She was crying so loud, then suddenly no sound. It panicked me even more.
"Baby, did you drink it? Did you drink it?"
No answer.
Rushing her to the emergency ward. Then she start to cling to my body like a monkey, holding me as tight as a leech. Crying so loud in the hospital, non stop, in the top pitch, until everybody kind of drop everything they were doing and see her.
The doctor confirmed that, fortunately, she did not drink it. She may have tasted it in her lips and tongue, but the stomach was fine.
But to be on the safe side, we should give her more water to drink, or milk, or ice cream.
As the doctor said ice cream she wailed between her nonstop cries, " I want ice cweam..."
" Wah, ice cream you can hear, ah? What taste do you want?"
"Stwawbeyiii..."
"Ok. Then stop crying. There's an ice cream stall there."
Suddenly the crying stopped.

As we drove back home, I lectured her on safety and consequences, then asked her out of curiosity. "Number Two, how does it (alcohol) taste?"
I was expecting the answer like, terrible, or hot, or bitter, or whatever...
She said, "Mantapp."  (more or less in English: Fantastic)

Is it because she is only 2.5 years old that she doesn't understand the magnitude of the danger, or does this kid just had a bitter sense of humor?

Back to the business of how to get rid of stink in the fridge.
So we washed the racks, wiped all the internal surface with isoprophyl alcohol 70%. Then put in some commercial anti fridge odor packets (which I suspect the inside is carbon and baking soda).

I will update later again with the result.

I popped in envelopes of coffee powder in the fridge too.

It did cast away the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment